Before you even think of walking into a salon or wedding shop you need to do a bit of research.
- Get some magazines and search wedding dresses on the internet
- Have a clear idea of what you want in a dress (ball gown, strapless, and sweet hear neck line)
- Understand your body type and what suites your personality (see wedding dresses to fit your body type)
- Know Your Budget - Have a clear idea of what you and your family will be willing to spend before you walk into the salon. Do not try on wedding dresses over your budget. This will just leave you wanting what you can't have, and steal from the pleasure you should be taking away from this moment of shopping for your dream dress.
- It's Okay To Love The First Dress - You might have heard that you should never choose the first dress you try on, but you will know if it's the right one. To set your mind at ease, maybe try on a couple more dresses, but if your are still drawn to the first one, then you know.....
- Know Your Silhouette - Know your body type and what will work well with your personality. (see wedding dresses to fit your body type)
- Take Along People Who's Opinion You Trust - When you go shopping for your dream dress make sure you surround yourself with people whose opinion you trust. If you know you are a people pleaser, make sure you only take with your closest friend, or mom to give you that honest but sincere option to make that final commitment.
- Be Open To Alterations - If you love the dress, but there are a couple of things that just don't sit right, you should keep in mind that you can change a few things to make the dress perfect.
- Be Open To Different Styles - You might have your heart set on a mermaid fit, but please keep an open mind to the fact, that you might not have the body type for a mermaid gown. Just because you had a different idea of what will work for you, doesn't mean you won't find the perfect dress.
- Keep Location In Mind - If you are planning on getting married on the beach, a ball gown might not be the best option for the serf just because of the weight of the dress.
- Say Yes & Stop Shopping - Once you have found your perfect wedding dress, it is critical that you stop shopping for other dresses, to top the one you have. It will just leave you wanting more, and second guessing your choice.
- Leave Room in Your Budget for Extras - You might want to consider budgeting for that something extra to go with your dress. A veil that will finish off the look (see veil options) or some extra beading around the bust area for a more elegant look. Even a beaded head band that will match the dress so perfectly.
- You Don't Have To Buy A Dress - If you have a very specific vision in mind and just can not commit to a dress, maybe it's time to think "Dress Maker". If you do decide to have your dress made, make sure you have some detailed pictures and get some fabric samples so that your dress maker know exactly what you want.
Weather you buy or have your dress made, make sure the dress you choose, fits your pocket as well as your personality. Do not settle for just any dress, remember you will know when you have found your perfect dream dress and this choice will be echoed through all your wedding photos. Enjoy every moment and be confident in your choice.