Here are a few tips to help you be the best bridesmaid you can be:
- Help with the wedding planning - This sounds easy and fun, but there will be parts of it that can be stressful and boring. For example, if your bride asks you to fold 150 wedding invitations, late into the night, that might not be your definition of wedding planning, but remember to be there for her even with the boring stuff.
- Provide moral and emotional support - This job can be emotionally draining for you too, but just keep up the support. Try to listen to what she wants and keep that in mind when the mother in law to be tries to change things the way she wants them. The most important thing to keep in mind is; act the way you would want her to act, as your bridesmaid one day.
- Help her register for gifts - Again support her in what she wants, remember this is not your wedding. Allow her to pick out what she wants, but with some positive advise, tell her that pink might not be a good idea for living room pillows, unless that's the groom's favorite color.
- Keep it together at the Bachelorette Party - Have fun and enjoy the moment, just keep your senses about you. Remember if the bride decides to party a bit hard, you need to be there to look after her. Also remember, that her idea of a party might be a 5 star high tea, and not a crazy night out. So try to have a clear idea of what she expects.
- Wear the Bridesmaid's Dress Joyfully - This can be a difficult one, if your friend doesn't have the best taste in colors or styles, however its her day and she gets what she wants. This would also be a great time to encourage the other bridesmaids not to complain or give their negative option on the brides' choice of bright orange dresses that makes you feel like a pumpkin.
- Bite your Tongue - There is a time and a place, but when she comes out in a wedding dress that might not be your cup of tea, but you see that glow on her face. You bit your tongue and smile! You don't want to be the one to ruin a special moment, that is a memory in the making just because you don't agree with the bride's choice in dress.
- Get Ready Together - Just because it might be more convenient to get ready at home doesn't mean you should. The whole day is about making the bride feel special and to allow her to enjoy ever moment of that day, from the minute she gets ready. Your support of being there and telling her how beautiful she looks, and to help fluff her dress makes the memories.
- Be a Great Listener - One thing you should know, is that your bride will have one thing on the brain most of the time through out this whole process, and that is WEDDING! This might be a bit hard to take at times, but you will be the same when your time comes. So be a good listener, even if you are so tired of hearing about flowers and color patterns.
I hope these tips will help prepare you for the coming months of planning, laughter, tears and joy! Put her first and imagine yourself in her shoes, and it will help you support her better. Enjoy every moment and remember she chose you to be a part of the most special day of her life, make the most of it!