Here are a few creative ideas as an alternative for flowers for your wedding reception center pieces:
- Balloons - I know this can sound a bit kids birthday party, but you can make this work with the most elegant of wedding themes. To keep an elegant feel to the reception, choose colors like whites and creams, and choose different sized balloons, make sure to use balloons with helium and make sure they get filled about 2 hours before the reception. Pick at least 10 for each table, varying from small to big. Use a central point on the table to bunch your balloons at different heights, higher than your guests view. This can also be done for a more whimsical wedding theme, by changing the color theme to more pastel colors.
- Candles - This works well if you are having an evening reception. Pick various sized candles, in height and thickness to make this theme work well. Also choose colors like white and cream to vary the look per table. You can even add a few string lights between or around the candles to give the reception, a moody atmosphere.
- Plant Pots - This option will work well if your having a more "green" wedding, in theme and in principal. Again, you can choose different plants in sizes and species. What one bride, I know did is she planted different seedlings in pots when they got engaged and then put them on the tables, to double as a thank you gift for each guest.
- Old Books - This idea works well with wedding themes that are more vintage. The key is to vary your books in color and size to make this work well. Also you can use thick and thin ribbons, with colors such as maroon, cream, and navy to work well with the vintage theme. This marries well with the old books idea.
- Branches - Branches can work well with a winter wonderland theme. Let me tell you how: spray paint thin long branches with white and silver paint. Put them in long glass vases for extra length. You can then maybe add newspaper flowers to the ends of the branches or glass balls with lights in them. You could also wrap string lights around the branches.
- Candies - Like the pot plants this idea can also double as a thank you gift for your guests. Pick various glass vases in thickness and height and put in your favorite candies and lolly pops. Vary this in color too, and try not to use too much pink in your candy choices. This idea works well will a whimsical theme.
- Fruit - Again it would be a good idea to use different sized glass vases, may be square, and round. For this idea to work well, choose vibrant colored fruits such as lemons, and oranges. To vary the decor even more, keep some fruit whole in a tale glass vase and cut some up and add water to the vases.
- Lanterns - This idea can also marry well with the candle option above. Pick different sizes and add different candles for ambiance. You could either go for a all white look with the lanterns or maybe a more rustic look, by making them look rusty and old.
I hope these ideas get you thinking outside of the flower box. This will help you with some creative ideas to get your wedding reception just perfect.